Thursday, April 22, 2010

R.I.P. Guru



Guru of Gang Starr fame just recently died of cancer at the age of 48. There's been a swirl of controversy surrounding the whole situation with accusations being leveled at 'Superproducer' Solar (his DJ) by Guru's fan, Bumpy Knuckles and fans. Shit is pretty easy to find if you look around, so I ain't gonna get into it too much.

Here is more or less something I posted on SOHH.

"rest in peace. this is depressing news. I remember seeing "The Militia" video on Yo! MTV Raps back when I was like 14. This was when I was really gettin' into hip-hop hard and it blew my mind. I recorded it off the TV with a microphone and shitty recorder and played it on my Walkman, thinkin I was big shit. I also remember when the rest of the cats I hung with discovered "Mass Appeal" (this was in probably 1999 or 2000 in the midwest), that was played nonstop.

A lot of Gang Starr cuts are just like this. Memory packed. When music is so intertwined with your actual life like this, it makes losing one of the artists that much worse."

No comments:

Post a Comment